Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Advent-Preparing for Jesus' Coming

     I have to say that teaching religious education has been such a learning experience for me. While reviewing the colors of the candles in the advent wreath and their meanings for a craft I was making for my kindergartners, I began to understand that the first three weeks of advent are meant to prepare us for Christ's coming. Never before had I realized that this time is meant for reflection and for making the necessary changes in our lives so that our lives are in line with God's will. I thought this was done during lent only. However, I understand it. I agree that I could use a semi-annual check-up of my life instead of just an annual check-up.
      I am pleased that I finished my Christmas shopping before advent so that I can have this time to focus on my personal preparation for Christ's coming since this is what this time is all about. I did not plan it this way this year but I certainly will next year. Inspired by a story I found for my kindergartners on St. Nicholas, I may put even less of an emphasis on Christmas shopping next year and more emphasis on "giving in Jesus' name" all year long. Here's the story at http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/echo-story/. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment